We love to travel. Period.
I wont say that I am a hard-core traveler and that I know what it takes and that I’ve been there and done that. But, over the past few years, I have done quite a few trial and errors and found that carrying the smallest things makes quite a difference and a trip worry free.
To start with, here are a few pointers –
- Medic-kit – Create your own medicine box or pouch with just the things that you may need. To add to that, try and carry an insect repellent, antiseptic, castor oil, loads of band-aids, scissors, tweezers, lots of toilet paper, nail-cutter etc. These will save you from a lot of irritable occasions. For all the women out there, make sure you carry extra sanitary napkins – you never know when you are going to get attacked!
- Quick fixers – Sewing kit, that can consist just a needle and one spool of thread, Fevi-quick or super glue. Rubber-bands, sellotape, safety-pins etc. These are really small things that take no space and will be most of help when you suddenly rip a shirt, break something and the sole of your shoe comes off.
- Cotton towel / napkin – I know that whenever I land at a new destination, the first thing that I want to do is wash my face and hands. Not always have I had a chance to stay at a proper place with all the needed facilities. If you feel cold, bigger towels can help add another layer of warmth. Towels are handy.
- Location wise Apps – Your phone can be your guide no matter where you are. Study the popular food and travel related apps. Like TripAdvisor, Uber and Airbnb, there are many apps that cater to similar features and are more location oriented.
- Kitchen Kit – Again, this does not need to be too big but there are some things in your kitchen that are multi-purposed. When I was a kid and used to go for treks, my mom would always make me carry these few things of which now I know the importance of.
- Salt – Not only will this help in adding more taste to food that you are not used to eating but also aids digestion, treats insect bites and keeps leeches away among-st various other reasons.
- Pepper / chili powder – Also helps in adding flavor and have the best anti-bacterial and pain relief elements. The powder can also serve as a self defense weapon in case of a suspicious person on wild animal.
- Turmeric – is known to be one of the best disinfectant’s that you can ever find.Turmeric contains a substance known as lipopolysaccharide, which helps stimulate the body’s immune system. In case you catch a cold, a cough or the flu, mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and drink it daily.
- Sugar – Again, apart from adding taste, sugar is well known to give you an immunity boost and prevents dehydration.
- small knife – to cut fruits and veggies that you may want to eat off-hand plus as a safety tool in unknown lands
- Torch, lighter and match-box – because you need light!
- Extra plastic bags – store things, carry dirty clothes in, as a binder, to keep things from getting wet etc
All these things are apart from all the stuff that you NEED to carry such as clothes, camera, passport and legal papers, money, insurance, licence, shoes, water, snacks, phones and chargers, toiletries etc
What else have I left out?